Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How could NEW YORK CITY be even MORE LIVABLE?

I know I've just arrived in the city and it might sound a little arrogant to try to IMPROVE NEW YORK CITY, but come on, I am Italian.. We do love to take a stand against or for any kind of discussion, starting from the last soccer match, ending with tomorrow's weather. If you're proved to be true many times you get to become a politician; if you are almost never true but you say it really loud, you become president.

Anyways, back to the topic, I noticed that many of the blogs on NYC (rightfully) praise New York as a wonderful city to live in mainly because of:

Unfortunately, though, I don't think there is yet a culture of BICYCLES..

 That would rock every New Yorker's life. Ok, there are some, I won't object that, but every bicycle you can find at least 4 taxis: it has not broken into the everyday life here. And it's a pity, indeed. I mean the street are large enough for an army of bicycles, most of Manhattan is almost flat, and in any case not that steep.. So why is the bycicles still a hipster thing? Just kidding.

Anyways, this topic is quite hot for many Italians: one of the things I miss more about everyday life in my little Italian town is that you could bike everywhere, and everybody does. As a result you could find bicycles for as much as 40 bucks, I don't mean good bicycles, but still things you can ride quite safely. For that money in the Big Apple you're lucky if you can have a dinner downtown! 

The good thing is that anytime there is place for some sort of business some creative New Yorker comes up with something useful: for the cycling culture there's this amazing website, which you should check out if you want to bike around NY.

That's all by now, you guys get a bicycle and use it as much as possible, take my suggestion.

Cheers,

Guido. 

No comments:

Post a Comment