Thursday, February 9, 2012

What's a nice English word?

So, I've been posting mostly about NYC so far, and I'm hoping to do it as often as possible, but let me take a little break to speak about something more related to foreigners abroad and learning English.

As you might have noticed, I am not English mother tongue, so I'm learning a lot of new words day by day, and sometimes it's overwhelming.. Fortunately, from now and then you find a REALLY NICE WORD, and by nice I mean something that sounds fun, or has a fun meaning.

So the word I want to talk about today would be:

BALONEY

That's not a joke, I want to talk about "Baloney", it's no baloney. So if you're American born and raised you might think this is the most boring post ever, but if you're not English mother tongue, and especially Italian, you would find this word just a lot of fun.

So this baloney, as you guys know, means like silly talking, non sense. But the nice part comes from its origin, which (guess what?) comes from Italian.

Exactly, baloney means also a kind of sausage (which I haven't tried but I will soon) and it is a transliteration of Bologna. Bologna is a really cute Italian town (the same town that we should thank every time we have a bolognese sauce, btw). 

Ain't that weird? You happen to like a word because of the sound, and once you dig a bit you realize it comes straight from your background culture. How crazy is that? 

I hope I'll find some other nice words to talk about, possibly enjoyable by my American audience. Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Guido.

No comments:

Post a Comment