Sunday, February 5, 2012

Is there something like the SUPERBOWL in ITALY?

Let me be frank: NO.

Since tomorrow is the big game's day, I tried to think really hard about some similar tradition we have in Italy. I couldn't come up with much, and I was somewhat sorry about that. I generally like these weird situations in which the sense of belonging of some people becomes really really strong, for a couple of hours.

The only thing that would compare is the World Cup final (of soccer, obviously). A lot of people get just nuts about it, and I would say the general feeling is similar to the Super Bowl. Only with less Buffalo wings.


Oh, well, there's also another difference: Italy doesn't make it to the final too often, and when we lose it's not like half of Italians is super enthusiast, while a half is pissed. Everybody's pissed, and if some immigrant from the winning country is cheering in the streets, something bad might happen. I know it's sad to say, but it's even worse to hide it.

The atmosphere during the match, though, it's amazing. Even if you happen not to be watching the match you could even make a commentary by listening to people shouting or cheering in their own houses. I have these really fresh memories of the last World Cup we won in 2006, it was CRAZY!.. It was sort of thrilling to get at the penalties, and against France. I won't try to explain it because I would waste it. This video says it all actually:



I can't imagine any Super Bowl being as intense as that match. Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Guido.

No comments:

Post a Comment