Monday, January 30, 2012

Why HAVE I NOT POSTED on SUNDAY?

That's right! As some of you may have noticed, so far I've been posting regularly once a day. At least that's what happened up until last Saturday. Actually, I consider a success keeping it going for 13 days straight - to my remembering I've not really ever committed to anything for longer than half an hour.

I am sorry to have skipped Sunday, though, but fortunately enough that gives me a good introduction to today's topic: quality of life. Exactly, I had thousand of things to do - yesterday - but as soon as they asked me to go out to dinner I did not refuse, and therefore I found myself going on working up until 3AM. Then I went to bed, not being even able to spell my name.

So what is this quality of life, then? And what makes you think to be qualified to talk about that?



One thing at a time: let me start by the end. Italians are proudly known abroad to have made an art out of quality of life. You may call it good food, nice weather or beautiful cities, I call it walking slowly, wasting time, eating slowly and waiting half an hour after you're done with your pasta. I call it quality of life.

Italy has this crazy characteristic of being messed up by most of the criteria you might consider (corruption, unemployment, economics, etc.. ) but still you would rarely find an Italian saying life in Italy isn't nice. This is something I realized mostly abroad - and I'm not saying life in New York or US isn't good - but I realized that in Italy the quality of life becomes a value, maybe the Value.

So this is only talking, and as I promised I would have given out the first tips about how to increase your (and each other's) quality of life:

  • walk slowly: appreciating every single step. This is related to an earlier post about New Yorkers, I throw the first stone saying that I do walk faster many times. But as soon as I slow down a bit, even the colors around you change. It's incredible, try it.
  • Talk to people: if you meet someone you haven't seen for a while do not say stuff like: "Oh my god, I missed you so much", but actually say something, that could change your day.
  • Take a dog: I would rather devote a whole section to the dog topic, by now trust me.
  • eat well, better if you cook from time to time, maybe even if it takes longer, and it tastes worse. In a week you'll get better;
So that's all for tonight, I hope I made it up for yesterday pause, I hope you all have the nicest week.

Cheers,

Guido.

No comments:

Post a Comment