Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Why is PASTA SO GOOD?

I decided to talk about the reasons why Italians Hate Italians later on, because is kind of a painful topic for me, and it requires some more research.


So let's talk about pasta: I just had a good one, and I am always surprised by how good it is, let's break it down:

  • pasta: basically durum wheat flour after a series of processes that while modifying it substantially, do not alter the taste that much. So it boils down to a cereal.
  • sauce: can vary a lot, but provided you have tomatoes and maybe a little Parmesan cheese you are all set

Here's my point: how can pasta be so good? One of the answer I found is that our stomach is simple and it likes simple things, therefore even if somebody likes to think that mixing salty with sweet food is better, you can't fool your own belly.. so it will always go for a simple pasta. Several other answer I thought are related to its chemical composition, such as the fact that it is mostly carbohydrates, so plainly the same as sugar, or stuff like that. But I think that the simplicity of the stomach works better.

A small note for us newyorkers: when you go bragging about how great a city New York is, do mention that it is super easy to get a wonderful pasta here, in legends such as Pisticci in Morningside Height or Patsy, several location all along the Island (Patsy got a reputation after Frank Sinatra said it was his best spot in New York, I am not sure this is a reason to think it's good, for sure it is a reason to think it's more expensive than it would be otherwise..!).

Cheers,

Guido.

No comments:

Post a Comment